Friday, January 20, 2012

Ducks...In...A...Row...?


One of my top ten pet peeves is having my ducks thrown back in the water.

What do I mean by this?

Well I'm the type of person who likes to put her ducks in a row with any type of event that is outside of the normal routine. So if I'm invited to an event I like to know when, where, who, what to bring...along with is my family invited including the kids or is it an adult only event...I could go on.

There are many things that come up now with Hadrien in the atrium program, almost starting school, with Andrew in formation and all the events that come up with that, plus the pediatric appointments we have that come up regularly for Simon. Liam hasn't yet joined in on these events but he is following close behind. Then there is myself, doctor appointments, family events, time to scoot away to renew my energies (a mani-pedi treatment for example). Getting a sitter for a date night or formation weekend. Again I could go on and on.

My personality requires that I keep a rigorous calendar and that my husband is synced with said calendar so he also knows whatever events we have coming up. This is the one area in my life that I DEMAND organization 100% of the time. I'd love to say that my domestic skills are also at this level, especially where the kitchen and laundry are concerned...but let's be honest, in those "other" areas I run at a consistent 80% at best. (So I'm not perfect...geez, I really hate that)

Alas, life is what it is and with so many external variables at play the ducks that I take excruciating time and effort to meticulously line up are on occasion thrown...no, kicked...(yes, kicked is more accurate) back into their little pond and I'm forced to scramble around picking up the pieces. Not to mention everyone involved are wondering why something so simple has turned chaotic or why I'm suddenly stressed out. I know I need to remember to breathe, to go with the flow sometimes, but seriously don't touch my DUCKS....they are mine and usually before lining the little buggers up I check with those who may have a different idea of how things should go so that I'm not stepping on toes or making plans if none need to be made. FYI: Please give me your input, but if you stay silent don't go kicking my ducks.

The ducks KNOW their job....let them do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment