Tuesday, May 27, 2014

Missing the Ocean


To me, the sea is like a person — like a child that I’ve known a long time. It sounds crazy, I know, but when I swim in the sea I talk to it. I never feel alone when I’m out there. Gertrude Ederle

This is me walking into the ocean back in 2005...I was cutting back then. The ocean was healing to me, even though the beach was relatively full that day it was me and the sea, a conversation and a change in the current to heal some wounds. Some see the ocean and fear it, it's too big they say. Not me, I've always been at home in the ocean. It's a wonder that I never moved into it's back yard, but then I respect it and it's awesome power to destroy...so I also keep my distance, at least as far as where I live. I did the next best thing though and married a sailor. One who shares my love and my respect for the sea. He probably understands her better than I do...sometimes he understands me better than I do.

I'm missing the crash of the waves today, the feeling of littleness but not aloneness, the smell of salt & sand, the smell of the sun on my skin, the way the water caresses, the vastness...I'm missing the ocean today. I no longer am a cutter and have covered those old scars with a tattoo of cherry blossoms to remind me that nothing will break me and all things can become new again with a little patience, some courage, and a lot of faith. I know the ocean has many secrets within it and that a simple visit can recharge me for the journey that still lies ahead.

I'm simply missing the ocean.

No comments:

Post a Comment