Thursday, January 20, 2011

Sleep Is For the Weak



I am currently involved in two projects that, although time consuming, I absolutely love doing. The first has a deadline that will come and go and the second will hopefully last a very long time! Both were started at relatively the same time and so I am a bit sleep deprived at the moment.


Baby showers...one of my favorite things to plan; along with weddings and those showers. Currently I am helping to plan and execute a baby shower for a bouncing baby boy who will be born to my husbands cousins wife shortly after the shower is over. I was up late putting together invitations...I'm not big on the already made, fill in the blank, store bought invitations, NO. I like to pull out my creative and computer skills so that I can hand make them. Kinda scrapbook-y...but so much more personal than the first I mentioned. Between the invites (which I finished in just a few five hours), the shopping (which may be handled by Nana) and throwing the games together we're pretty much prepared. Those invites are more time consuming than the rest of the party planning, but again, so worth it!


The second endeavor I've taken on is writing, yes, handwriting, to a very nice lady who used to attend my parish but recently moved clear across the country, we'll call her M. So I have a pen pal...
Let me just say that the fact of our schools no longer teaching cursive in schools is horrendous, absolutely an awful and possibly the worst thing that could ever happen along with at least a dozen others that I can think of right this second.


Since it has been ages, I'm talking fifteen years - until a few months ago, since I've handwritten any kind of correspondence to any one person for any reason, we'll say I'm a bit sloppy. Not only is my penmanship awful, but my handwriting etiquette truly has failed me. Maybe I'm being too hard on myself, I don't know, but that is how I feel. Technology has it's place in our society, but there is truly something more personal in receiving or sending a handwritten letter. You just can't express the emotion you feel while writing in an email, text, or even a blog post. For some reason though it comes through in the handwritten letter or postcard. I love the written language and so much has been lost already in our society that I felt moved to refresh myself and my skills through practice. A few months ago I started by writing my sister (in-law) Ruthe to tell her how proud I am of what she accomplishes each day in just being herself...this led to my longing for more. Like I said before M. moved across the country, I'm in AZ and she is currently in NC, we would talk a little here and there when we'd see each other in passing and she's sweet as pie but we really don't know each other. What better way to have a pen pal, I mean if it can't be a lifetime friend, than who better than an almost stranger who at the very least shares the faith with you.


After I finished the invitations, I finished my first letter to M. and finally made it to bed about 2 am. My precious boys never, NEVER sleep past 7 am (if I'm lucky), so I'm running on empty today and the saying holds true today especially, Sleep is definitely for the Weak! I am very excited though to have both of these projects, they are things that I love and so with that said it's worth it! (L)

No comments:

Post a Comment